By Jennifer Lyn Walker, The Cybersecurity Evangelist
Please enjoy this month’s episode of The Gate 15 podcast on Anchor, Spotify, Apple, Google, as well as other locations accessible via the Anchor link or almost anywhere you listen to your favorite podcasts.
Have you ever thought about just how much reliance there is on space systems and how satellites – tons of them – are actually flying computers with IP addresses? And due to that reliance, there is an enormous need and importance placed on space systems cybersecurity. In an episode that is out of this world, the Gate 15 Podcast Channel welcomes back a very special guest – Erin Miller, Executive Director of Space ISAC on the 18th episode of The Cybersecurity Evangelist – to talk about all that and more from the 37th Space Symposium at The Broadmoor in Colorado Springs.
From an event that Erin called, “bigger than Disneyland,” we talked about the importance of securing space systems, the pivotal role that Space ISAC is playing to increase the cybersecurity posture for the global space community, and the general passion for cybersecurity among attendees and speakers at the symposium. We also touched on the importance of a recent CISA alert for strengthening the cybersecurity of satellite communications (CISA Alert AA22-076A – Strengthening Cybersecurity of SATCOM Network Providers and Customers) and even shared a little fan-girl moment over “CISAJen,” CISA Director, Jen Easterly. Erin also talked about her visit with Dr. Stacey Dixon (LinkedIn) – Principal Deputy Director of National Intelligence at ODNI.
Before we wrapped up, Erin heralded the strong partnership Space ISAC has with the Colorado Springs Chamber & EDC, and its mission in cultivating a community of access and talent to support cybersecurity for space and the economic support for space organizations to thrive in Colorado Springs. She also emphasized the enormous career opportunities in the space community – regardless of background, and the role Purdue University, UCCS, and others are playing to fulfill those needs. Essentially, now is a great time to join the space community in every capacity!
Listen here to learn about it all and much more on why space systems are critical for all critical infrastructure!
For more about Space ISAC and Erin Miller, don’t forget to check out Andy’s The Gate 15 Interview Ep. 16: Erin Miller, Executive Director, Space ISAC. Securing Space Infrastructure (and terrestrial critical infrastructure too!).
Finally, while Klingon’s may be a better enemy (The Gate 15 Interview, Ep 16), remember, cybersecurity resistance is futile!
Resources mentioned in this episode:
- Space ISAC
- 37th Space Symposium
- Dr. Stacey Dixon (LinkedIn) – Principal Deputy Director of National Intelligence, ODNI
- CISA Director, Jen Easterly (Twitter)
- Women in Cybersecurity (WiCyS)
- CISA Alert AA22-076A – Strengthening Cybersecurity of SATCOM Network Providers and Customers
- Purdue University
- University of Colorado Colorado Springs
- Colorado Springs Chamber & EDC
- United States Space Force
- United States Space Command
- United States Air Force Academy
- The Gate 15 Interview Ep. 16: Erin Miller, Executive Director, Space ISAC. Securing Space Infrastructure (and terrestrial critical infrastructure too!)
Read more about Gate 15’s full podcast menu at our Podcast page.
You can subscribe and enjoy all the Gate 15 Podcasts on Anchor, Apple, Spotify, Google, as well as other locations accessible from the Anchor link. Week-to-week, listen and learn more about our all-hazards threats, risks, mitigations, and other issues impacting homeland security risk management from our team as well as our regular and special guests. The full podcast menu includes:
- The Risk Roundtable, is a recurring monthly discussion among our team and occasional guests as we explore the all-hazards threats and risks impacting the United States and internationally.
- The Cybersecurity Evangelist, with Jennifer Lyn Walker, is a cybersecurity-focused podcast designed with a little cyber-something to help everyone be more cyber secure.
- Nerd Out! Security Panel Discussion, moderated by Dave Pounder, focuses on physical security topics including terrorism, extremism, hostile events, and other pertinent topics.
- The Gate 15 Interview, is a monthly interview between Gate 15’s founder and Managing Director, Andy Jabbour and guests from throughout the homeland security risk management community addressing a wide range of all-hazards topics and issues.