In this episode of The Gate 15 Interview, Andy Jabbour talks with Bryan Ware, founder and CEO of Next5 (next5.co), a technology-focused business intelligence and strategic advisory firm. In addition to being a successful entrepreneur, Bryan is a self-described “analytics geek” and emerging technologies expert. He has formerly served as the CEO at Haystax Technology and more recently served at DHS Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA) as the Assistant Director for the Cybersecurity Division. Bryan on Twitter (@bsware). Bryan on LinkedIn.
In the discussion we address:
- Bryan’s background and his experience in the private sector and at DHS’s Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA)
- His new project, Next5
- Critical and emerging technology and associated concerns
- Geopolitical and other security challenges
- Find out what Bryan means when he says “I believe in Liquid Diplomacy?”
- Hear his call to service
- And more!
“I’m most passionate about the critical and emerging technologies that are emerging now and will be most important to our lives, economies, and national security 5+ years from now”Bryan Ware
Please enjoy this episode of The Gate 15 Interview podcast on Anchor, Spotify, Apple, Google, as well as other locations accessible via the Anchor link or almost anywhere you listen to your favorite podcasts.
A few references mentioned in or relevant to our discussion include:
- We discussed Bryan’s new company, Next5. From the website, “Next5 helps leading companies develop, acquire and protect the game-changing technologies of the future. Our research provides a current and expert perspective on critical emerging technologies, global supply chains, and geo-political and economic factors that shape opportunities and risks.” See more, including the Next 5 Technology Matrix, from the link above.
- Bryan mentioned the quote “software is eating the world,” stated by Marc Andreessen. Read more on that in the Wall Street Journal, Why Software Is Eating The World (20 Aug 2011).
- We mentioned the Five Eyes partnership, which is the intelligence alliance comprising Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, and the United States. You can read a little about that from the Office of the Director of National Intelligence, here, or on Wikipedia.
The Gate 15 Interview is a monthly interview between Gate 15’s founder and Managing Director, Andy Jabbour and guests from throughout the homeland security risk management community addressing a wide range of all-hazards topics and issues. Read more about Gate 15’s full podcast menu at our Podcast page. You can subscribe and enjoy all the Gate 15 Podcasts on Anchor, Apple, Spotify, Google, as well as other locations accessible from the Anchor link. Week-to-week, you can hear and learn more about our all-hazards threats, risks, mitigation and other issues impacting homeland security risk management from our team as well as our regular and special guests. The full podcast menu includes:
- The Risk Roundtable, is a recurring monthly discussion among our team and occasional guests as we explore the all-hazards threats and risks impacting the United States and internationally.
- The Cybersecurity Evangelist, with Jennifer Lyn Walker, is a cybersecurity-focused discussion with Jen and invited guests.
- Nerd Out! Security Panel Discussion, moderated by Dave Pounder, focuses on physical security topics including terrorism, extremism, hostile events, and other pertinent topics.
- The Gate 15 Interview, is a monthly interview between Gate 15’s founder and Managing Director, Andy Jabbour and guests from throughout the homeland security risk management community addressing a wide range of all-hazards topics and issues.