By Jennifer Lyn Walker, The Cybersecurity Evangelist
Despite the jesting I got from the guys during last week’s Risk Roundtable, the TCE ISAC Series broadcasts on!
I am so privileged to have such awesome guests join me on The Cybersecurity Evangelist (TCE), and this segment was no different! I had the pleasure of speaking with Krysten Stevens, Director of Technical Operations, and Brett Zupan, Risk Analyst and DC Liaison from REN-ISAC. If you follow Gate 15 on any of our social media or blog posts, then you’ve heard of REN-ISAC and probably already know that it stands for Research & Education Networks Information Sharing & Analysis Center. You probably also know that REN-ISAC promotes cybersecurity operational protections and response for the higher education and research community.
I don’t want to give too much away, but some highlights from our chat:
- The threats facing the research and higher education community – Hint: the same threats facing everyone else. Along with the importance of monitoring threats facing other sectors, because we can’t remain idle while we wait until a threat targets our own sector.
- We also spoke to one of the cybersecurity concerns near and dear to my heart, ICS threats and how they could impact a college/university/research facility campus.
- Most importantly, we gushed about Kim Milford’s (REN-ISAC’s Executive Director) amazing vision in 2019 to execute a series of Blended Threat Workshops that had colleges, universities, and relevant community partners, such as state/local health and law enforcement working through an infectious disease scenario… can you believe at one point the team thought the scenario development might be going too far…hmmmm!
- We also touched on the 2020-2021 Blended Threat Workshop series scenario and the myriad ways ransomware could quickly disturb college life. I even posed the idea of a “vehicular denial of service…” 😉
Resources discussed on this episode:
- REN-ISAC: https://www.ren-isac.net
- The Gate 15 Interview: From Blended Threats to Pandemic Lessons Learned, a Candid Conversation on Higher Education Security and Resilience with REN-ISAC’s Kim Milford: https://gate15.global/the-gate-15-interview-from-blended-threats-to-pandemic-lessons-learned-a-candid-conversation-on-higher-education-security-and-resilience-with-ren-isacs-kim-milford/ (23 Nov 2020)
- REN-ISAC Public Resources: https://www.ren-isac.net/public-resources/csirt.html
- REN-ISAC Workshops: https://www.ren-isac.net/public-resources/workshops/index.html
- CAUDIT: https://www.caudit.edu.au/
Other ISAC’s (and ISAO’s) previously heard on TCE:
- Downstream Natural Gas ISAC: https://www.dngisac.com/
- Mining and Metals ISAC: http://www.mmisac.org/
- Real Estate ISAC: https://www.reisac.org/
- Research and Education Networks ISAC: https://www.ren-isac.net/
- WaterISAC: https://www.waterisac.org/
- Faith-Based ISAO: https://faithbased-isao.org/
- The Risk Roundtable, a panel discussion among our Gate 15 team
- The Cybersecurity Evangelist, with Jennifer Lyn Walker
- Nerd Out! Security Panel Discussion, moderated by Dave Pounder
- The Gate 15 Interview, a monthly interview with security and risk management leaders