In this episode of The Gate 15 Interview, Andy Jabbour talks with Kim Milford, the Executive Director of the Research and Education Network Information Sharing and Analysis Center (REN-ISAC) .
The REN-ISAC is focused on aiding and promoting operational protection and response within the research and higher education (R&E) communities. In this podcast we discuss:
- REN-ISAC, higher education and critical infrastructure
- The higher education threat landscape
- REN-ISAC Blended Threat Workshops
- Higher ed security coordination
- COVID-19 lessons learned
- Emerging concerns for higher ed and critical infrastructure
- And more!
Kim Milford: “Kim Milford serves as Executive Director of the REN-ISAC, working with research and education institutions, partners, and sponsors to provide services and information that allow member institutions to better defend technical environments from cyberthreats. Ms. Milford oversees administration and operations for the REN-ISAC. Ms. Milford served in several roles leading strategic IT initiatives since 2007 at Indiana University.” Read more. Twitter.
“Everyone has a role in security and security is everyone’s responsibility”– Kim Milford
REN-ISAC: “The Research and Education Networks Information Sharing and Analysis Center (REN-ISAC) serves over 650 member institutions within the higher education and research community by promoting cybersecurity operational protections and response. REN-ISAC member institutions benefit from Security Event System (SES) threat intelligence and other automated data collection and sharing tools to enable informed decisions about threats and events, as well as peer assessment services to improve the institution’s overall security posture.” Read more. Twitter.
- Learn more about REN-ISAC: https://www.ren-isac.net/
- REN-ISAC: Higher Education Enterprise Risk Management Leadership, 06 March 2018
- Security Spotlight: An Interview with REN-ISAC Executive Director, Kim Milford, 11 Jun 2018
- REN-ISAC Workshops
- 2019 REN-ISAC Blended Threats Workshops: Read 2019 Report & Read 2019 Report Brief
- 2018 REN-ISAC Blended Threats Workshops: 2018 Final Findings Report & 2018 Final Findings Report Brief
- BT workshop pages, reports.
- Gate 15: Webinar Recording: Getting Started Now: Pandemic Preparedness After-Action Reports, 17 April 2020
- Gate 15: Pandemic Preparedness: Start Your After-Action Report & Improvement Planning (NOW) 26 May 2020
“We define a blended threat as a natural, accidental, or purposeful physical or virtual danger that has the potential for crossover impacts or to harm life, information, operations, environment, and property.”– Blended Threats (update 1.1): Understanding an Evolving Threat Environment, 01 Mar 2018
This Gate 15 Interview is a monthly interview between Gate 15’s founder and Managing Director, Andy Jabbour and guests from throughout the homeland security risk management community addressing a wide range of all-hazards topics and issues. Read more about Gate 15’s full podcast menu at our Podcast page. You can subscribe and enjoy all the Gate 15 Podcasts on Anchor, Apple, Spotify, as well as other locations accessible from the Anchor link. Week-to-week, you can hear and learn more about our all-hazards threats, risks, mitigation and other issues impacting homeland security risk management from our team as well as our regular and special guests. The full podcast menu includes:
- The Risk Roundtable, is a recurring monthly discussion among our team and occasional guests as we explore the all-hazards threats and risks impacting the United States and internationally.
- The Cybersecurity Evangelist, with Jennifer Lyn Walker, is a cybersecurity-focused discussion with Jen and invited guests.
- Nerd Out! Security Panel Discussion, moderated by Dave Pounder, focuses on physical security topics including terrorism, extremism, hostile events, and other pertinent topics.
- The Gate 15 Interview, is a monthly interview between Gate 15’s founder and Managing Director, Andy Jabbour and guests from throughout the homeland security risk management community addressing a wide range of all-hazards topics and issues.