In the latest episode of Nerd Out, Dave Pounder is joined by some old friends, Joe Levy and Bridget Johnson, while they welcome in Amanda Mason to the panel where they discuss the latest series of reports from the FBI, the U.S. Senate, and from across the pond and the Manchester Arena bombing inquiry. They discuss the value of these types of reports, and the lessons that can be learned from the observations. Amanda then shares some of the insight from the January 6th incident at the U.S. Capitol from a first-hand view of the situation as it unfolded. After going through the reports and calling out some of the challenges highlighted, the panel goes through a rapid fire session with questions ranging from security trends, ransomware (sorry Jen), and what the panel is reading or watching.
The reports discussed include: Active Shooter Incidents 20-Year Review, 2000-2019, Examining the U.S. Capitol Attack, A Review of the Security, Planning, and Response Failures of January 6 Manchester Arena Inquiry.
- Dave Pounder is a Senior Risk Analyst for Gate. Twitter: @dpounder; email: email@example.com.
- Joe Levy is the chairman of the International Associate of Venue Managers (IAVM) Venue Safety and Security Committee. In addition, Joe is the Chief Operating Officer at the Usdan Center for the Creative & Performing Arts. IAVM website https://www.iavm.org/ Venue Safety and Security committee contact information: firstname.lastname@example.org; LinkedIn Profile: https://www.linkedin.com/in/joelevy1/.
- Bridget Johnson is the Managing Editor for Homeland Security Today. In addition her contributions on Homeland Security Today (hstoday.us), they are also running a series of webinars (Webinar signups, https://www.eventbrite.com/e/le-only-anti-government-extremists-who-they-are-how-to-combat-them-tickets-144507635227?aff=ebdsoporgprofile). Twitter: @BridgetCJ & @HSTodayMag.
- Amanda Mason is currently serving as the Vice President of Intelligence for the Related Companies. Her role is to integrate information from various sources and bridge the gap of cyber threats, national security, local law enforcement, physical security and business intelligence. In her role, she provides threat information and solutions to the various subsidiaries under Related, which include Real Estate, Infrastructure, Manufacturing, Hospitality, and International Finance. She is also a reservist currently serving as the Director of Intelligence for the District of Columbia, Air National Guard. With over 24 years of service, Amanda has held various positions in the Intelligence and Special Operations Communities.
You can subscribe and enjoy all the Gate 15 Podcasts on Anchor, Apple, Spotify, Google, as well as other locations accessible from the Anchor link. Week-to-week, you can hear and learn more about our all-hazards threats, risks, mitigation and other issues impacting homeland security risk management from our team as well as our regular and special guests. The full podcast menu includes:
- The Risk Roundtable, is a recurring monthly discussion among our team and occasional guests as we explore the all-hazards threats and risks impacting the United States and internationally.
- The Cybersecurity Evangelist, with Jennifer Lyn Walker, is a cybersecurity-focused discussion with Jen and invited guests.
- Nerd Out! Security Panel Discussion, moderated by Dave Pounder, focuses on physical security topics including terrorism, extremism, hostile events, and other pertinent topics.
- The Gate 15 Interview, is a monthly interview between Gate 15’s founder and Managing Director, Andy Jabbour and guests from throughout the homeland security risk management community addressing a wide range of all-hazards topics and issues.