In the latest Nerd Out podcast, Dave is joined by Bridget Johnson to talk about the hostile event at the Top’s Supermarket in Buffalo, New York. Looking at the attack through the lens of Gate 15’s Hostile Events Attack Cycle (HEAC), Dave and Bridget talked about all the planning and preparedness that went into the attack as documented by the attacker’s manifesto. Bridget went into length about the way the attacker outlined his beliefs while showcasing his admiration and reverence to previous attackers, especially the 2019 New Zealand mosque attacker. They wrapped up the pod with some thoughts for organizations to consider and how the lessons learned and behaviors identified can be applied to any location and organization. Bridget wrapped up up with some strong words that this manifesto is dangerous and deliberately speaks to a vulnerable group who may seek inspiration in their own lives. In addition, it represents a journey into hate that organizations need to be mindful of.
The Nerd Out team:
- Bridget Johnson is the Managing Editor for Homeland Security Today. In addition to her contributions on Homeland Security Today, they are also running a series of webinars (Webinar signups). Twitter: @BridgetCJ
- Dave Pounder is a Senior Risk Analyst for Gate. Twitter: @dpounder; email: email@example.com.
You can subscribe and enjoy all the Gate 15 Podcasts on Anchor, Apple, Spotify, Google, as well as other locations accessible from the Anchor link. Week-to-week, you can hear and learn more about our all-hazards threats, risks, mitigation and other issues impacting homeland security risk management from our team as well as our regular and special guests. The full podcast menu includes:
- The Risk Roundtable, is a recurring monthly discussion among our team and occasional guests as we explore the all-hazards threats and risks impacting the United States and internationally.
- The Cybersecurity Evangelist, with Jennifer Lyn Walker, is a cybersecurity-focused discussion with Jen and invited guests.
- Nerd Out! Security Panel Discussion, moderated by Dave Pounder, focuses on physical security topics including terrorism, extremism, hostile events, and other pertinent topics.
- The Gate 15 Interview, is a monthly interview between Gate 15’s founder and Managing Director, Andy Jabbour and guests from throughout the homeland security risk management community addressing a wide range of all-hazards topics and issues.