The Nerd Out! Security Panel Discussion podcast episodes are recurring discussions among our team and our valued guests as we explore the all-hazards threats and risks impacting the United States and internationally. As we seek to help apply a threat-informed, risk-based approach to analysis, preparedness and operations, we hope these podcasts are informative and maybe even a little entertaining.
In this year end Nerd Out! Security Panel Discussion, Dave Pounder hosts Joe Levy, Bridget Johnson and Travis Moran to take a look at the events of 2020 and the impacts they had on individuals and organizations. The Nerd Out! team pulls out lessons to be learned as we get ready to kick off 2021. But before digging into the topics, Bridget shared some personal updates relating to the impacts of COVID, building on her article, My Mom Died of COVID-19, and Disinformation Was the Virus’ Accomplice. The group then built upon Bridget’s moving account and discussed that while COVID obviously dominated the news, there were other security issues that caused disruptions and may have gone overlooked – or maybe not. The discussion then took a detour and went into some lighter, jovial discussions including their food choices for the perfect holiday meal, and the team passes out some security resolutions and reminders to focus on in the hope of starting 2021 on a better foot.
Thanks to all the Nerd Out! listeners and followers – 2020 gave us the opportunity to kick off this podcast channel and we look to keep security at the forefront of these discussions in 2021 and beyond! Happy holidays!
- Bridget Johnson, @bridgetcj on Twitter, is the Homeland Security Today Managing Editor, (@HSTodayMag), and a security consultant, among other projects. HS Today is currently running a series of webinars (webinar signups, https://www.eventbrite.com/o/homeland-security-today-30028526516). Notably, she is an L.A. woman and avid 49ers fan.
- Joe Levy is the chairman of the International Associate of Venue Managers (IAVM) Venue Safety and Security Committee. IAVM Website: www.iavm.org/ Venue Safety and Security committee contact information: email@example.com | Joe’s LinkedIn profile.
- Travis Moran is the Assistant Deputy Director, Critical Infrastructure Protection & Physical Security with the Secure Communities Network (SCN), and a long-time friend to Gate 15, having contributed his perspective to various reports and analyses. A retired law enforcement officer, Travis is a drones expert with experience in security across various critical infrastructure. Email firstname.lastname@example.org | Website: www.welund.com | twitter: @dronin_on.
You can subscribe and enjoy all the Gate 15 Podcasts on Anchor, Apple, Spotify, as well as other locations accessible from the Anchor link. Week-to-week, you can hear and learn more about our all-hazards threats, risks, mitigation and other issues impacting homeland security risk management from our team as well as our regular and special guests. The full podcast menu includes:
- The Risk Roundtable, is a recurring monthly discussion among our team and occasional guests as we explore the all-hazards threats and risks impacting the United States and internationally.
- The Cybersecurity Evangelist, with Jennifer Lyn Walker, is a cybersecurity-focused discussion with Jen and invited guests.
- Nerd Out! Security Panel Discussion, moderated by Dave Pounder, focuses on physical security topics including terrorism, extremism, hostile events, and other pertinent topics.
- The Gate 15 Interview, is a monthly interview between Gate 15’s founder and Managing Director, Andy Jabbour and guests from throughout the homeland security risk management community addressing a wide range of all-hazards topics and issues.