Please enjoy this month’s episode of The Gate 15 podcast on Anchor, Spotify, Apple, Google, as well as other locations accessible via the Anchor link or almost anywhere you listen to your favorite podcasts.
On America’s Independence Day 🇺🇸, Andy and Dave pulled up to discuss the latest security challenges organizations face. Starting with the recent Copenhagen incident, they talked continued a previous discussion about the noise surrounding hostile events and how they distract from the real issues. Working back to the hostile events attack cycle, Andy brought up the numerous resources, many low-cost, that organizations can leverage as they continue to build out their state of preparedness. Dave and Andy also talked about drones, their continued risk, as well as the latest efforts by the U.S. government to start to address the risk. Finally, the roundtable talked about weather events and wildfires to round about the holiday special. And even though Jen was enjoying much deserved time off, Andy made sure to bring up cyber related threats and items of interest, including a 4th of July weekend ransomware incident and the importance of having an Incident Response Plan and emergency contact procedures. But no episode is complete without Andy’s three questions. This month, they talked about Obi Wan (and Star Wars in general), music, and 4th of July memories!
Some of the references from our podcast include:
- Copenhagen shooting: Shopping mall gunman charged with murder (BBC, 4 July 2022)
- Andy’s Tweet on conspiracy theories
- Gate 15 White Paper: The Hostile Event Attack Cycle (HEAC), 2021 Update
- Run. Hide. Fight. (FBI)
- Run. Hide. Tell. (UK)
- Gate 15 Resources Pages
- Faith-Based ISAO Resources Pages
- What’s YOUR Plan, by James DeMeo on Amazon
- Andy’s Tweet on his time discussing Hostile Events, Active Shooter and De-escalation at Loudoun Hunger Relief/@LoudounHunger.
- Andy’s Tweet on Outlook Rules
- White House, FACT SHEET: The Domestic Counter-Unmanned Aircraft Systems National Action Plan (25 April 2022)
- A Drone Tried to Disrupt the Power Grid. It Won’t Be the Last; An attack attempt in 2020 proves the UAS threat is real—and not enough is being done to stop it (Brian Barrett/@brbarrett in WIRED, 25 Nov 2021)
- Drone shows instead of July 4 fireworks? More Colorado communities are making the switch for fire safety (Matt Bloom, CPR News/@COPublicRadio, 01 Jul 2022)
- Andy’s Tweet on ransomware and incident response, including CISA Jen Easterly’s pre-4th of July weekend reminder to remain vigilant.
- “Singles” soundtrack info on Wikipedia and listen on Spotify
- “No Woman. No Cry.” From The Office via Yarn, and the legendary song by Bob Marley & The Wailers (1974)
- “TM” from Will Arnett’s cameo on The Office
The Risk Roundtable podcast is a recurring monthly discussion among our team and occasional guests as we explore the all-hazards threats and risks impacting the United States and internationally. As we seek to help apply a threat-informed, risk-based approach to analysis, preparedness and operations, we hope these podcasts are informative and maybe even a little entertaining. Read more about Gate 15’s full podcast menu at our Podcast page. We hope you’ll subscribe, listen and share your ideas and other feedback! Reach out to us on Twitter, LinkedIn or via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Risk Roundtable, a panel discussion among our Gate 15 team;
- The Cybersecurity Evangelist, with Jennifer Lyn Walker;
- Nerd Out! Security Panel Discussion, moderated by Dave Pounder; and
- The Gate 15 Interview, a monthly interview with security and risk management leaders.
We hope you’ll subscribe, listen and share your ideas and other feedback!