By Jennifer Lyn Walker, The Cybersecurity Evangelist
Please enjoy this month’s episode of The Gate 15 podcast on Anchor, Spotify, Apple, Google, as well as other locations accessible via the Anchor link or almost anywhere you listen to your favorite podcasts.
In episode 20, I open by thanking those responsible for making episode 19 (and 18) such a success – Andy Jabbour (of The Gate 15 Interview and @Gate_15_Analyst) and Anton Shipulin (curator of the @BEERISAC: OT/ICS Security Podcast Playlist)! Then, in another solo session, I offer a public service announcement on summer travel scams.
The monologue begins by touching on how cyber scammers are creatures of habit and the expectation of travel-themed scams each summer. I also cover why cyber criminals don’t have to be creative and how they get away with using the same tactics over and over to appeal to our human emotions to get us to hastily respond in a manner that is in their favor – essentially, this is a chat on the human side of cyber.
However, the meat of this episode involves how summer is a great time for scammers to trick us with themes of urgency and excitement as we make much anticipated vacation plans. I list a few topics/subjects to look out for as signs of a scam. Finally, I cover five basic tips to avoid being travel-scammed, including why it’s important to monitor loyalty accounts.
Have a listen here.
Resources mentioned in this episode:
- Threat Actors Prepare Travel-Themed Phishing Lures for Summer Holidays
- Avoid Scams When You Travel
Read more about Gate 15’s full podcast menu at our Podcast page.
You can subscribe and enjoy all the Gate 15 Podcasts on Anchor, Apple, Spotify, Google, as well as other locations accessible from the Anchor link. Week-to-week, listen and learn more about our all-hazards threats, risks, mitigations, and other issues impacting homeland security risk management from our team as well as our regular and special guests. The full podcast menu includes:
- The Risk Roundtable, is a recurring monthly discussion among our team and occasional guests as we explore the all-hazards threats and risks impacting the United States and internationally.
- The Cybersecurity Evangelist, with Jennifer Lyn Walker, is a cybersecurity-focused podcast designed with a little cyber-something to help everyone be more cyber secure.
- Nerd Out! Security Panel Discussion, moderated by Dave Pounder, focuses on physical security topics including terrorism, extremism, hostile events, and other pertinent topics.
- The Gate 15 Interview, is a monthly interview between Gate 15’s founder and Managing Director, Andy Jabbour and guests from throughout the homeland security risk management community addressing a wide range of all-hazards topics and issues.