In this episode of The Gate 15 Interview, Andy Jabbour enjoys a really fun talk with Runa Sandvik and Brad Barkett, two security veterans both with considerable experience working to secure media at some of America’s most well-known papers. In this podcast we discuss:
- 2020 and the cyber threat environment
- The threats facing media today
- The role of media in security
- What we might anticipate in the new year
- Among other topics!
Runa and Brad share some candid perspective, and a few fun tidbits about themselves in this year-end discussion on the cyber threat environment, security issues, and the media. Please enjoy this episode of The Gate 15 Interview on Anchor, Apple, Spotify, as well as other locations.
Runa Sandvik: Runa is a senior security researcher with years of experience in security and information sharing. Today, Runa works on digital security for journalists and other high-risk people. Her work builds upon experience from her time at The New York Times, Freedom of the Press Foundation, and The Tor Project. She is a board member of the Norwegian Online News Association, and tweets as @runasand.
Brad Barkett: Brad a 20 year security veteran, and has been working as a security architect for the Washington Post since 2015, with a background in telecoms, MSS, IDS, DDOS, firewalls, proxies. Currently , Brad has a preference for social topics like cyber anti-personnel, disinfo, OSINT, threat intel, social psychology, and social engineering. Long standing hobby interests include synthesis and electronic music, and more recently, being a relatively middling 40+ amateur folkstyle wrestler and nogi jiu-jitsu player. Brad has two brothers, Mike and JJ, who are also security professionals.
A few references mentioned in our discussion include:
- Ford Foundation Cybersecurity Assessment Tool
- Freedom of the Press Foundation
- A new report from the Freedom of the Press Foundation: A record breaking number of journalists arrested in the U.S. this year
- Updating how we think about security, INFILTRATE 2018, by Matt Tait
This Gate 15 Interview is a monthly interview between Gate 15’s founder and Managing Director, Andy Jabbour and guests from throughout the homeland security risk management community addressing a wide range of all-hazards topics and issues. Read more about Gate 15’s full podcast menu at our Podcast page. You can subscribe and enjoy all the Gate 15 Podcasts on Anchor, Apple, Spotify, as well as other locations accessible from the Anchor link. Week-to-week, you can hear and learn more about our all-hazards threats, risks, mitigation and other issues impacting homeland security risk management from our team as well as our regular and special guests. The full podcast menu includes:
- The Risk Roundtable, is a recurring monthly discussion among our team and occasional guests as we explore the all-hazards threats and risks impacting the United States and internationally.
- The Cybersecurity Evangelist, with Jennifer Lyn Walker, is a cybersecurity-focused discussion with Jen and invited guests.
- Nerd Out! Security Panel Discussion, moderated by Dave Pounder, focuses on physical security topics including terrorism, extremism, hostile events, and other pertinent topics.
- The Gate 15 Interview, is a monthly interview between Gate 15’s founder and Managing Director, Andy Jabbour and guests from throughout the homeland security risk management community addressing a wide range of all-hazards topics and issues.