Please enjoy this episode of The Gate 15 Interview podcast on Anchor, Spotify, Apple, Google, as well as other locations accessible via the Anchor link or almost anywhere you listen to your favorite podcasts.
In this episode of The Gate 15 Interview, Andy Jabbour visits with James A. DeMeo and Herb Ubbens on their work with Crowdguard, facility security and security best practices and more.
James A. DeMeo, M.S. is a best-selling author, professional speaker, event security expert, and a long-time friend to Gate 15. Mr. DeMeo brings vast experience to the public/private, non-profit, sports/entertainment, corporate, higher education & vendor management/contract analyst ecosystems. Mr. DeMeo serves as Vice President for Crowdguard US, a crowd safety solutions provider & CEO of Unified Sports and Entertainment Security Consulting, LLC., (USESC) based in Raleigh, NC. He was recognized by Security Magazine as The Most Influential People in Security 2017. Mr. DeMeo is also the author of the best-selling book, What’s Your Plan? A Step-By-Step Guide To Keep Your Family Safe During Emergency Situations. Mr. DeMeo holds professional memberships with both ASIS International and National Center for Spectator Sports Safety and Security-NCS4. He serves as a remote learning Adjunct Instructor with the following Universities: Tulane University’s School of Professional Advancement-SOPA, Jacksonville State University, Dept. of Kinesiology, Mercer University-Stetson School of Business where he teaches both graduate/undergraduate students about Event Security, Facilities and Risk Assessment. Mr. DeMeo is currently enrolled in an Online Higher Education Graduate Certificate Program at Appalachian State University-Cratis D. Williams School of Graduate Studies.
Herb Ubbens. Guiding organizations to increase their resiliency and emergency preparedness, reduce risk and provide safety and value to their clients and assets. Board Certified in Security Management (CPP) and Physical Security (PSP). SAFETY Act DHS Assessor in BPATS (Best Practices for Anti-Terrorism Security). OSHA general industry and construction trainer, safety expert and Project Manager.
In the discussion we address:
- James’ and Herb’s backgrounds and the work they’re doing today to draw down risk and helping to secure mass gatherings and facilities
- Physical threats and reasonable ways to reduce risk
- Best practices for organizations
- James’ book, “What’s Your Plan?”
- Thanksgiving, favorite drinks, and Gen X rock and hip hop!
A few references mentioned in or relevant to our discussion include:
- Crowdguard US website
- From Crowdguard US on LinkedIn: “Want to see the latest innovation in pedestrian protection within public spaces? Join us for Crowdguard US Demo Day December 8, 2022 at the North Carolina Museum of Art where we will display the 2019 Counter Terror award winning Surface Guard barrier system.” Read more here!
- Andy mentions Dr. Tamara Herold
- Incident: Several Injured After Car Reportedly Drives Into Carnival in South Central
- Incident: Investigation into fatal crash at Apple store in Hingham continues
- International Association of Venue Managers (IAVM)
- Academy for Venue Safety and Security (AVSS)
- And ICYMI! Nerd Out Security Panel Discussion: EP 31. Elections, Holidays, and the annual holiday food draft
The Gate 15 Interview is a monthly interview between Gate 15’s founder and Managing Director, Andy Jabbour and guests from throughout the homeland security risk management community addressing a wide range of all-hazards topics and issues. Read more about Gate 15’s full podcast menu at our Podcast page. You can subscribe and enjoy all the Gate 15 Podcasts on Anchor, Apple, Spotify, Google, as well as other locations accessible from the Anchor link. Week-to-week, you can hear and learn more about our all-hazards threats, risks, mitigation and other issues impacting homeland security risk management from our team as well as our regular and special guests. The full podcast menu includes:
- The Risk Roundtable, is a recurring monthly discussion among our team and occasional guests as we explore the all-hazards threats and risks impacting the United States and internationally.
- The Cybersecurity Evangelist, with Jennifer Lyn Walker, is a cybersecurity-focused discussion with Jen and invited guests.
- Nerd Out! Security Panel Discussion, moderated by Dave Pounder, focuses on physical security topics including terrorism, extremism, hostile events, and other pertinent topics.
- The Gate 15 Interview, is a monthly interview between Gate 15’s founder and Managing Director, Andy Jabbour and guests from throughout the homeland security risk management community addressing a wide range of all-hazards topics and issues.