In the discussion we address:
- Mark’s background
- Intel 471
- Cyber threats
- Future threats
- Mark weighs in on the great pineapples on pizza debate
- And more!
Please enjoy this episode of The Gate 15 Interview podcast on Anchor, Spotify, Apple, Google, as well as other locations accessible via the Anchor link or almost anywhere you listen to your favorite podcasts.
“It all goes down to password reuse… enforce two-factor authentication on everything…”Mark Arena
A few references mentioned in or relevant to our discussion include:
- Intel 471: https://intel471.com
- Intel 471’s Cyber Underground General Intelligence Requirements Handbook.
- Upcoming Intel 471 video podcast! Intel 471 CTI experts will examine recent developments in the cyber underground through the lens of the media & telecommunications sector. Check it out: 28 Sep 2021, 11am (see registration link for time zone options). Register here: https://hubs.la/H0WW0Gn0.
- Top FBI official says there is ‘no indication’ Russia has taken action against hackers, The Hill, 14 Sep 2021.
“Based on what we’ve seen, I would say there is no indication that the Russian government has taken action to crack down on ransomware actors that are operating in the permissive environment that they have created there… We’ve asked for help and cooperation with those who we know are in Russia who we have indictments against, and we’ve seen no action, so I would say that nothing’s changed in that regard…”FBI Deputy Director Paul Abbate, via The Hill
- Russia is fully capable of shutting down cybercrime, CSO Online, 14 Sep 2021.
- Australian Cyber Security Centre Essential Eight. “While no set of mitigation strategies are guaranteed to protect against all cyber threats, organisations are recommended to implement eight essential mitigation strategies from the ACSC’s Strategies to Mitigate Cyber Security Incidents as a baseline. This baseline, known as the Essential Eight, makes it much harder for adversaries to compromise systems.”
- Thoma Bravo Makes Strategic Investment in Intel 471 Announcement, 08 Sep 2021.
The Gate 15 Interview is a monthly interview between Gate 15’s founder and Managing Director, Andy Jabbour and guests from throughout the homeland security risk management community addressing a wide range of all-hazards topics and issues. Read more about Gate 15’s full podcast menu at our Podcast page. You can subscribe and enjoy all the Gate 15 Podcasts on Anchor, Apple, Spotify, Google, as well as other locations accessible from the Anchor link. Week-to-week, you can hear and learn more about our all-hazards threats, risks, mitigation and other issues impacting homeland security risk management from our team as well as our regular and special guests. The full podcast menu includes:
- The Risk Roundtable, is a recurring monthly discussion among our team and occasional guests as we explore the all-hazards threats and risks impacting the United States and internationally.
- The Cybersecurity Evangelist, with Jennifer Lyn Walker, is a cybersecurity-focused discussion with Jen and invited guests.
- Nerd Out! Security Panel Discussion, moderated by Dave Pounder, focuses on physical security topics including terrorism, extremism, hostile events, and other pertinent topics.
- The Gate 15 Interview, is a monthly interview between Gate 15’s founder and Managing Director, Andy Jabbour and guests from throughout the homeland security risk management community addressing a wide range of all-hazards topics and issues.