Please enjoy this episode of The Gate 15 Interview podcast on Anchor, Spotify, Apple, Google, as well as other locations accessible via the Anchor link or almost anywhere you listen to your favorite podcasts.
In this episode of The Gate 15 Interview, Andy Jabbour visits with Rachel Tobac, (She/Her), CEO, SocialProof Security, Friendly Hacker. Rachel is a hacker and the CEO of SocialProof Security where she helps people and companies keep their data safe by training and pentesting them on social engineering risks. Rachel was also 2nd place winner of DEF CON’s wild spectator sport, the Social Engineering Capture the Flag contest, 3 years in a row. Rachel has shared her real life social engineering stories with NPR, Last Week Tonight with John Oliver, The New York Times, Business Insider, CNN, NBC Nightly News with Lester Holt, Forbes and many more. In her remaining spare time, Rachel is the Chair of the Board for the nonprofit Women in Security and Privacy (WISP) where she works to advance women to lead in the fields.
- On LinkedIn
- On Twitter: @RachelTobac and see @SocialProofSec & @WISPorg
- On Mastodon: http://infosec.exchange/@racheltobac
In the discussion we address:
- Rachel’s superhero origin story and her company, SocialProof Security.
- Women in Security and Privacy (WISP).
- Hacking. Hacking. Hacking.
- Twitter and Baking Security In.
- And a little on horror, time travel and Twin Peaks!
A few references mentioned in or relevant to our discussion include:
- SocialProof Security
- Women in Security and Privacy (WISP) – Advancing Women To Lead The Future Of Privacy And Security.
- CNN: We asked a hacker to try and steal a CNN tech reporter’s data. Here’s what happened, 18 Oct 2019
- CNN, three years later (2022): ‘Don’t use the same password’: Watch how easy it was to hack this CNN reporter
- Aura: Hacking A Billionaire, with Rachel Tobac
- Yubico: Uber Hack Reenactment Video, with Rachel Tobac
- Twitter: An update on two-factor authentication using SMS on Twitter, 15 Feb 2023
- CISA Director Jen Easterly’s Twitter Thread regarding the announcement
- The Hill on Which Rachel will die, on Twitter
- And check out SocialProof Security merch on Etsy; Gear for The Politely Paranoid (the stickers are awesome and on Andy’s laptop…)
The Gate 15 Interview is a monthly interview between Gate 15’s founder and Managing Director, Andy Jabbour and guests from throughout the homeland security risk management community addressing a wide range of all-hazards topics and issues. Read more about Gate 15’s full podcast menu at our Podcast page. You can subscribe and enjoy all the Gate 15 Podcasts on Anchor, Apple, Spotify, Google, as well as other locations accessible from the Anchor link. Week-to-week, you can hear and learn more about our all-hazards threats, risks, mitigation and other issues impacting homeland security risk management from our team as well as our regular and special guests. The full podcast menu includes:
- The Security Sprint is our weekly rundown of the week’s notable all-hazards security news, risks and threats and some of the key focus areas for organizations to consider behind the headlines. Gate 15 team members discuss physical security, cybersecurity, natural hazards, health threats and other issues across our environment.
- The Risk Roundtable is a recurring monthly discussion among our team and occasional guests as we explore the all-hazards threats and risks impacting the United States and internationally.
- The Cybersecurity Evangelist, with Jennifer Lyn Walker, is a cybersecurity-focused discussion with Jen and invited guests.
- Nerd Out! Security Panel Discussion, moderated by Dave Pounder, focuses on physical security topics including terrorism, extremism, hostile events, and other pertinent topics.
- The Gate 15 Interview is a monthly interview between Gate 15’s founder and Managing Director, Andy Jabbour and guests from throughout the homeland security risk management community addressing a wide range of all-hazards topics and issues.