In this episode of The Gate 15 Interview, Andy Jabbour talks with James Whalen, SVP, Chief Information & Technology Officer, Boston Properties. In this podcast we address:
- Jim’s background
- Changes in facilities; changes in security
- Threats facing facilities and broader implications
- Security and collaboration
- And more!
Please enjoy this episode of The Gate 15 Interview podcast on Anchor, Spotify, Apple, Google, as well as other locations accessible via the Anchor link or almost anywhere you listen to your favorite podcasts.
James Whalen: James Whalen serves as Senior Vice President, Chief Information & Technology Officer for Boston Properties where he is responsible for the direction and implementation of technology services and solutions. Prior to joining the Company in March 1998, he served as Vice President, Information Systems of Beacon Properties. He is a graduate of the University of Notre Dame and a recipient of the New York City Urban Fellowship. Mr. Whalen is a current trustee and past President of the Boston Chapter of the Society for Information Management (SIM) and serves on the Real Estate Cyber Consortium, Realcomm Advisory Council, Commercial Facilities Cyber Working Group, TechHire Boston and Boston Private Industry Council. LinkedIn.
A few references mentioned in or relevant to our discussion include:
- The Real Estate Information Sharing and Analysis Center (RE-ISAC). “The Real Estate Information Sharing and Analysis Center (RE-ISAC), a not-for-profit information sharing entity organized by The Real Estate Roundtable in February 2003, is a public-private partnership between the US commercial facilities sector and federal homeland security officials which serves as the primary conduit of terrorism, cyber and natural hazard warning and response information between the government and the commercial facilities sector.”
- InfraGardNCR: Commercial Facilities Cyber Working Group (CCWG)
- FBI IC3 Cyber Crime Report: FBI Releases the Internet Crime Complaint Center 2020 Internet Crime Report & PDF: 2020 Internet Crime Report, 17 Mar 21
- Palo Alto Networks: Highlights from the 2021 Unit 42 Ransomware Threat Report & Ransomware Threat Assessments: A Companion to the 2021 Unit 42 Ransomware Threat Report, 17 Mar 21
- Group-IB: ransomware empire prospers in pandemic-hit world. Attacks grow by 150%, 04 Mar 21
- Realcomm Advisory Council
The Gate 15 Interview is a monthly interview between Gate 15’s founder and Managing Director, Andy Jabbour and guests from throughout the homeland security risk management community addressing a wide range of all-hazards topics and issues. Read more about Gate 15’s full podcast menu at our Podcast page. You can subscribe and enjoy all the Gate 15 Podcasts on Anchor, Apple, Spotify, Google, as well as other locations accessible from the Anchor link. Week-to-week, you can hear and learn more about our all-hazards threats, risks, mitigation and other issues impacting homeland security risk management from our team as well as our regular and special guests. The full podcast menu includes:
- The Risk Roundtable, is a recurring monthly discussion among our team and occasional guests as we explore the all-hazards threats and risks impacting the United States and internationally.
- The Cybersecurity Evangelist, with Jennifer Lyn Walker, is a cybersecurity-focused discussion with Jen and invited guests.
- Nerd Out! Security Panel Discussion, moderated by Dave Pounder, focuses on physical security topics including terrorism, extremism, hostile events, and other pertinent topics.
- The Gate 15 Interview, is a monthly interview between Gate 15’s founder and Managing Director, Andy Jabbour and guests from throughout the homeland security risk management community addressing a wide range of all-hazards topics and issues.