In this episode of The Gate 15 Interview, Andy Jabbour talks with Peter Ashwin, the principal and founder of Event Risk Management Solutions (ERMS), a consulting practice committed to enabling event organizers to meet the challenges of today’s volatile and uncertain world. Peter is recognized as an innovative, industry leader for the design and implementation of event security and risk management solutions to support event organizing committees and their public and private security partners deliver safe and secure, world class event experiences within complex, multi-agency environments. He is a former Australian Army special forces officer who now calls Montreal home. Peter on LinkedIn.
In the discussion we address:
- Peter’s background
- The Olympics and major event security and risk management
- The current threat and risk landscape
- Event and venue security and best practices
- And more!
Please enjoy this episode of The Gate 15 Interview podcast on Anchor, Spotify, Apple, Google, as well as other locations accessible via the Anchor link or almost anywhere you listen to your favorite podcasts.
A few references mentioned in or relevant to our discussion include:
- Lake Placid 2023 World University Games, 12-22 Jan 2023
- From Risk to Resilience: The Fundamentals of Risk Management for Festivals & Events. A pragmatic approach to event risk management, adapted from international risk management standards and guidelines, evidence-based academic research, supported by ‘real world’ feedback from festival and event organizers, professionals, vendors, and suppliers, developed by Peter Ashwin.
- DHS CISA Power of Hello
- DHS “Pathway to Violence” video
- FBI Active Shooter resources, with several references to the Pathway to Violence
- Stop the Bleed
- The story of the security guard who may have saved countless lives during the 2015 Paris attacks. First telling by the WSJ: “Paris Attacks: Suicide Bomber Was Blocked From Entering Stade de France.” And clarification on who the hero security guard was, via the BBC.
- And look for the release of the updated Gate 15 Hostile Event Attack Cycle White Paper coming in August 2021!
The Gate 15 Interview is a monthly interview between Gate 15’s founder and Managing Director, Andy Jabbour and guests from throughout the homeland security risk management community addressing a wide range of all-hazards topics and issues. Read more about Gate 15’s full podcast menu at our Podcast page. You can subscribe and enjoy all the Gate 15 Podcasts on Anchor, Apple, Spotify, Google, as well as other locations accessible from the Anchor link. Week-to-week, you can hear and learn more about our all-hazards threats, risks, mitigation and other issues impacting homeland security risk management from our team as well as our regular and special guests. The full podcast menu includes:
- The Risk Roundtable, is a recurring monthly discussion among our team and occasional guests as we explore the all-hazards threats and risks impacting the United States and internationally.
- The Cybersecurity Evangelist, with Jennifer Lyn Walker, is a cybersecurity-focused discussion with Jen and invited guests.
- Nerd Out! Security Panel Discussion, moderated by Dave Pounder, focuses on physical security topics including terrorism, extremism, hostile events, and other pertinent topics.
- The Gate 15 Interview, is a monthly interview between Gate 15’s founder and Managing Director, Andy Jabbour and guests from throughout the homeland security risk management community addressing a wide range of all-hazards topics and issues.