In this episode of The Gate 15 Interview, Andy Jabbour talks with Vitali Kremez, the Chairman & CEO at Advanced Intelligence. In this podcast we discuss:
- Vitali’s backstory
- Advanced Intelligence
- The cyber threat environment
- Organizational and personal security best practices
- And more!
Please enjoy this episode of The Gate 15 Interview on Anchor, Spotify, Apple, Google, as well as other locations accessible via the Anchor link or almost anywhere you listen to your favorite podcasts.
Vitali Kremez: Vitali is a well-known ethical hacker. His cybercrime and nation-state research and discoveries led to his direct name appearing in the malware linked to the Russian nation-state group known as ‘APT28,’ which is believed to the military operation led by the Russian GRU after hus blog revealing one particular group malware. Moreover, his name oftentimes appears in various malware families from Maze to Medusa ransomware as cybercrime tribute to him by the criminal actors who closely watch and acknowledge his research.
He is a former U.S. cybercrime government analyst responsible for tracking and hunting for the most number of the Eastern European cybercriminals arrested abroad with his notable public case related to the StubHub intrusion. In that case, Vitali identified and tracked the Russian cybercriminal in Spain and helped extradite him to the US.Over his government and private sector career, Kremez has made numerous groundbreaking findings into Eastern Europe’s cybercrime underworld and has earned virtually every major certification available in the fields of IT, security, and digital forensics. A renowned expert, speaker, blogger, and columnist, Vitali has contributed articles to Dark Reading, BusinessReview, and Infosecurity Magazine and is a frequent commentator on cybercrime, hacking incidents, policy, and security. Twitter: @VK_Intel.
In the podcast we discuss a lot of areas – from Vitali’s fascinating background, guitar playing, and journey to the United States, security issues, emerging and enduring threats and best practices, the evolving challenge of blended threats and convergence, and much, much more.
A few relevant links to our podcast include:
- Advanced Intelligence
Advanced Intelligence, Twitter: @IntelAdvanced
- VK Intel: Digital Forensics & Incident Response Twitter: @vk_dfir
- Bellingcat: Global Investigative Journalism Network
- The Citizen Lab
- AdvIntel & HYAS: Crime Laundering Primer: Inside Ryuk Crime (Crypto) Ledger & Risky Asian Crypto Traders, 06 Jan 21.
- AdvIntel & Eclypsium: Persist, Brick, Profit -TrickBot Offers New “TrickBoot” UEFI-Focused Functionality, 09 Dec 20.
- AdvIntel: Anatomy of Attack: Inside BazarBackdoor to Ryuk Ransomware “one” Group via Cobalt Strike, 06 Nov 20.
- DHS CISA Reduce the Risk of Ransomware, 21 Jan: “The Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA) announced the Reduce the Risk of Ransomware Campaign today, a focused, coordinated and sustained effort to encourage public and private sector organizations to implement best practices, tools and resources that can help them mitigate this cybersecurity risk and threat.” Read more.
- Convergence: The Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Convergence Action Guide describes the complex threat environment created by increasingly interconnected cyber-physical systems, and the impacts that this interconnectivity has on an organization’s cybersecurity and physical security functions. It also provides information that organizations can consider to adopt a holistic cyber-physical security approach through a flexible framework. Read more. PDF.
And if you want to find out more about blended threats and convergence, check out some of our recent blog posts, including:
- Blended Threat Implications from Bombings like Nashville
- The Pandemic’s Blended Threats Impact to Healthcare
- Blended Threats: When Ransomware Kills…
- Blended Threats: That Time When Ransomware Shut Down Border Security…
- Blended Threats: Holding Buildings Hostage
- And many more!
The Gate 15 Interview is a monthly interview between Gate 15’s founder and Managing Director, Andy Jabbour and guests from throughout the homeland security risk management community addressing a wide range of all-hazards topics and issues. Read more about Gate 15’s full podcast menu at our Podcast page. You can subscribe and enjoy all the Gate 15 Podcasts on Anchor, Apple, Spotify, as well as other locations accessible from the Anchor link. Week-to-week, you can hear and learn more about our all-hazards threats, risks, mitigation and other issues impacting homeland security risk management from our team as well as our regular and special guests. The full podcast menu includes:
- The Risk Roundtable, is a recurring monthly discussion among our team and occasional guests as we explore the all-hazards threats and risks impacting the United States and internationally.
- The Cybersecurity Evangelist, with Jennifer Lyn Walker, is a cybersecurity-focused discussion with Jen and invited guests.
- Nerd Out! Security Panel Discussion, moderated by Dave Pounder, focuses on physical security topics including terrorism, extremism, hostile events, and other pertinent topics.
- The Gate 15 Interview, is a monthly interview between Gate 15’s founder and Managing Director, Andy Jabbour and guests from throughout the homeland security risk management community addressing a wide range of all-hazards topics and issues.