The 3rd episode of the Gate 15 Podcast is now available! So much can change in a month… Last month we touched on COVID-19, and in this episode we dig further into questions about preparedness and the resulting cyber scams associated with what may be an enduring health threat. Then the team transitions to other cyber-threats, specifically Business Email Compromise and phishing. Join Dave Pounder, Gate 15’s Director for Threat and Risk Analysis, Jennifer Lyn Walker, Director for Cyber Services, and Andy Jabbour, Gate 15’s Managing Director, as they talk to the some of the notable threats, risks, challenges and associated considerations around these issues and on some of the reasons why we should be encouraged, despite the adversity.
In this episode we acknowledge the valuable work of some great security partners, including:
- New analysis from Agari detailing the enduring challenge of Business Email Compromise with a deep dive into a group referred to as “Exaggerated Lion” – a group with members based in Nigeria, Ghana and Kenya.
- A great backgrounder from the team at Digital Shadows addressing “how phishing emails are created,” “how they’re distributed,” “attackers’ tactics, techniques, and procedures (TTPs)” and “what success might look like to an attacker.”
- New analysis from LookingGlass, discussing “six categories of threats and activities observed at the end of 2019 (that) are likely to persist in 2020.”
- And hat tips to:
- Ronnie “BEC” Tokazowski, one of the good guys that gives us hope!
- FB-ISAO and the Orlando faith-based community that is working to enhance the security, preparedness and resilience of Central Florida’s places of worship.
- IAVM and the students at the Academy for Venue Safety and Security, who are striving to bolster the safety and security of the places we go to watch sports, enjoy concerts, experience our favorite characters, and the many other things millions enjoy at auditoriums, arenas, convention centers, exhibit halls, stadiums, performing arts centers, university complexes, and amphitheaters.
The Gate 15 Podcast is a recurring monthly discussion among our team and occasional guests as we explore the all-hazards threats and risks impacting the United States and internationally. As we seek to help apply a threat-informed, risk-based approach to analysis, preparedness and operations, we hope these podcasts are informative and maybe even a little entertaining.