Please enjoy this next episode of The Gate 15 Podcast on Anchor, Apple, Spotify, as well as other locations accessible from the Anchor link. In this year-ending Risk Roundtable, the Risk Roundtable crew looks at the security event or incident that took home the prize of most impactful. And no, COVID was not allowed! Was it “truth decay”, domestic terrorism, ransomware, or any number of other incidents? The only thing that could be determined was that Dave was not getting any points for his submission. Then the gang played a little Roundtable Roulette and shared some of the areas that they would be looking at moving forward while also recognizing the courage of their teammate Bridget Johnson, who recently wrote about the passing of her mother from COVID. Also discussed were security concerns relating to upcoming COVID-19 vaccine dissemination and holiday shopping scams….fa-la-la-la-oh no!
As we look towards wrapping up 2020, thank you to everyone who has listened and participated in our 2020 podcasts! We are excited to continue discussing security matters across the all-hazards environment and how they may impact organizations as we move into 2021! We hope you all have a happy holiday season and enjoy the time however you choose to celebrate. Stay safe!
Several references, resources, and organizations are mentioned in this episode of the Risk Roundtable, include:
- My Mom Died of COVID-19, and Disinformation Was the Virus’ Accomplice, Bridget Johnson in HS Today, 03 Dec.
- Ransomware demands continue to rise as Data Exfiltration becomes common, and Maze subdues, Coveware, 04 Nov.
- Security Awareness – ’Tis the Season to be Scammy, Fa-la-la-la-la…, Jennifer Lyn Walker, FB-ISAO, 20 Nov.
- Truth Decay: An Initial Exploration of the Diminishing Role of Facts and Analysis in American Public Life, Rand Corporation, 2018.
- Ransomware gangs are now cold-calling victims if they restore from backups without paying, Catalin Cimpanu, ZDNet, 06 Dec.
- Mark Arena on ransomware, on Twitter, posted by Andy to LinkedIn, 04 Dec.
- Your Boss Can Restrict Your Holiday Plans in the Pandemic, Patrick Thomas, Wall Street Journal, 06 Dec.
- The Gate 15 SUN, our free daily paper.
The Risk Roundtable podcast is a recurring monthly discussion among our team and occasional guests as we explore the all-hazards threats and risks impacting the United States and internationally. As we seek to help apply a threat-informed, risk-based approach to analysis, preparedness and operations, we hope these podcasts are informative and maybe even a little entertaining. Read more about Gate 15’s full podcast menu at our Podcast page. We hope you’ll subscribe, listen and share your ideas and other feedback! Reach out to us on Twitter, LinkedIn or via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Risk Roundtable, a panel discussion among our Gate 15 team;
- The Cybersecurity Evangelist, with Jennifer Lyn Walker;
- Nerd Out! Security Panel Discussion, moderated by Dave Pounder; and
- The Gate 15 Interview, a monthly interview with security and risk management leaders.
We hope you’ll subscribe, listen and share your ideas and other feedback!