Please enjoy this month’s episode of The Gate 15 podcast on Anchor, Spotify, Apple, Google, as well as other locations accessible via the Anchor link or almost anywhere you listen to your favorite podcasts.
In the latest episode of the Risk Roundtable, Dave, Jen, and Andy looked at the increasingly important idea of security bias and security blindness. The group specifically looked at how bias in analysis can lead to security blindness and the minimization and exaggeration of threats. Within the analytical community it is important to note how bias exists in virtually everything and the team discussed ways in which bias could exist from the analyst, but also by those that receive the data. The Risk Roundtable crew discussed some of the root causes and how this can lead to and continue a cycle of misinformation and disinformation if not handled correctly. In fact, the more divisive our politics become, the more bias our media, the more people – politicians, the media, social media, foreign governments, and others – fan the flames of division, the more challenging the role of the analyst can become. In the end, bias is a discussion that is encouraged to be had by all organizations to ensure they are accurately representing the threats and risks to the organization.
Next the team looked at their roulette items (Dave even shared the theme song on demand!) reminding listeners of the Microsoft Exchange Vulnerability and to update their systems. In addition, as reopenings are occurring around the world in varying degrees, it is important that organizations review security plans and processes. Items highlighted in the Podcast include:
- Health ISAC Spring Summit, Secured in Paradise, open to members and non-members; Agenda.
- Troy Hunt addressing “Confirmation Bias” (and an overall good read): Let’s Stop the 5G Hysteria: Understanding Hoaxes and Disinformation Campaigns, 10 Apr 2020
- CISA on the FortiOS Vulnerability
- CISA Malware Analysis Reports (MAR) Alert AA21-062A: Mitigate Microsoft Exchange Server Vulnerabilities
- CISA Mitigate Microsoft Exchange On-Premises Product Vulnerabilities
The Risk Roundtable podcast is a recurring monthly discussion among our team and occasional guests as we explore the all-hazards threats and risks impacting the United States and internationally. As we seek to help apply a threat-informed, risk-based approach to analysis, preparedness and operations, we hope these podcasts are informative and maybe even a little entertaining. Read more about Gate 15’s full podcast menu at our Podcast page. We hope you’ll subscribe, listen and share your ideas and other feedback! Reach out to us on Twitter, LinkedIn or via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Risk Roundtable, a panel discussion among our Gate 15 team;
- The Cybersecurity Evangelist, with Jennifer Lyn Walker;
- Nerd Out! Security Panel Discussion, moderated by Dave Pounder; and
- The Gate 15 Interview, a monthly interview with security and risk management leaders.
We hope you’ll subscribe, listen and share your ideas and other feedback!