Please enjoy this month’s episode of The Gate 15 podcast on Anchor, Spotify, Apple, Google, as well as other locations accessible via the Anchor link or almost anywhere you listen to your favorite podcasts.
In the latest episode of the Risk Roundtable, Dave, Jen, and Andy wrap up their third year together and talk through recent events and talk about ways to fight off those seeking to ruin the holiday spirit. Dave and Andy kicked things off talking about the incident at the North Carolina power substation and what it could mean given recent events (Walmart shooting, Colorado Springs) and how to look at it from a preparedness standpoint. Jen dropped down the chimney and spread holiday cheer with a double shot of cybersecurity tips talking about holiday scams (in only the way Jen can do), and passwords (don’t be like Dave). Then Dave then took the group back through some of the 2022 predictions to see if they were right, needed more time, or were off base before Andy put a bow on the podcast with a holiday themed question.
Andy’s cybersecurity shoutouts include:
- Congratulations, Troy & Charlotte Hunt! @troyhunt & @Charlotte_Hunt_
- And see Troy’s tweet: Happy birthday to @haveibeenpwned, born 9 years ago on 04 Dec
- Catalin Cimpanu on Mastadon: ‘The only infosec predictions that need to be taken seriously are the ones in a meme format’ 🥁
Some of the references from our podcast include:
- National Terrorism Advisory System & Bulletin 30 Nov 22
- HS Today: ’Targeted’ N.C. Substation Gun Attack Comes Amid Escalating Critical Infrastructure Threats, 04 Dec 22
- Washington Post: Walmart gunman showed troubling behavior before attack, ex-colleagues say, 04 Dec 22
- CNN: Gunman kills 5 at LGBTQ nightclub in Colorado Springs before patrons confront and stop him, police say, 21 Nov 22
- GridEx VII – November 14-15, 2023
- NordPass: Top 200 most common passwords & related, Help Net Security: The top 200 most common passwords in 2022 are bad, mkay?, @ZeljkaZorz, 29 Nov 2022
- Security Week: French Hospital Cancels Operations After Cyberattack, 05 Dec 22
- Troy Hunt: Password managers don’t have to be perfect, they just have to be better than not having one, 04 Apr 2017
- SentinelOne: 5 Cyber Scams to Watch Out for This Holiday Season, 05 Dec 2022
- BBB Study Update: Reported online retail fraud losses to approach $380M in 2022, 17 Nov 2022
The Risk Roundtable podcast is a recurring monthly discussion among our team and occasional guests as we explore the all-hazards threats and risks impacting the United States and internationally. As we seek to help apply a threat-informed, risk-based approach to analysis, preparedness and operations, we hope these podcasts are informative and maybe even a little entertaining. Read more about Gate 15’s full podcast menu at our Podcast page. We hope you’ll subscribe, listen and share your ideas and other feedback! Reach out to us on Twitter, LinkedIn or via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Risk Roundtable, a panel discussion among our Gate 15 team;
- The Cybersecurity Evangelist, with Jennifer Lyn Walker;
- Nerd Out! Security Panel Discussion, moderated by Dave Pounder; and
- The Gate 15 Interview, a monthly interview with security and risk management leaders.
We hope you’ll subscribe, listen and share your ideas and other feedback!