Please enjoy this month’s episode of The Gate 15 podcast on Anchor, Spotify, Apple, Google, as well as other locations accessible via the Anchor link or almost anywhere you listen to your favorite podcasts.
Embarking on year 4, the Risk Roundtable jumps two feet into 2023 by talking through the various physical and cyber threats that continue to present challenges. Jen opened up the discussion covering the latest breaches with password managers, fast food restaurants and even platforms that seem to be unbreakable. Matching Jen, Dave covers the wide variety of physical security threats and environmental considerations that organizations are already dealing with this year to include critical infrastructure concerns (power stations, solar plants), terrorism, and environmental factors, to include understanding the role that politics can have in the workplace. Before moving to the roulette round Andy led a discussion about the importance of preparedness in this complex environment and the risk of not evaluating these incidents and taking appropriate action.
Jen then talked about the news and cyber implications around ChatGPT, as well as ensuring organizations are aware of some upcoming timelines such as the end of support for Windows 7 (yes, it is still being used). Dave transitioned and talked about Bridget Johnson’s latest piece on 7 Terrorism Trends for 2023 before Andy wrapped up with the ever-popular three questions.
Some of the references from our podcast include:
- Not in a million years: It can take far less to crack a LastPass password, Dec 28, 2022
- Troy Hunt on Twitter regarding Twitter breach
- The Gate 15 SUN, our free daily paper
- Jair Bolsonaro supporters storm Brazil’s presidential palace and supreme court
- China declares ‘new phase’ in COVID response after Beijing reopens borders
- The violent attack on Brazil’s government was months in the making. Here’s what you need to know | CNN
- Brazil congress attack: what we know so far
- Brazil authorities seek to punish pro-Bolsonaro rioters
- Brazilian Bishops condemn storming of congress
- ‘Putsch Into Nowhere’: Russian Officials Slam Brazil Riots, Back Lula
- Russian Media: Senior security official says Russia isn’t at war with Ukraine
- Woman Charged with Threatening to Bomb Democratic Campaign Office Detained During Initial Appearance
- Five Democratic politicians’ homes or offices have been shot at in Albuquerque
- New Mexico police probe gunfire at officials’ offices, homes
- Mass Shooting Threat Against LGBTQ People Made By FL Man: Feds
- Terrorism trial begins against accused New York bike path killer
- Times Square machete attack suspect indicted on terrorism charges
- Imperva Report: More Lessons Learned from Analyzing 100 Data Breaches https://www.imperva.com/resources/resource-library/white-papers/more-lessons-learned-from-analyzing-100-data-breaches/
- OpenAI ChatGPT: https://openai.com/blog/chatgpt/
- We gave a few mentions of our esteemed colleague Bridget Johnson, @BridgetCJ on Twitter, and her recent article in HS Today, 7 Terrorism Trends to Watch in 2023; The hodgepodge of diverse and dynamic threats requires unraveling some key areas of concern from copycats to critical infrastructure threats and mainstreaming extremism (02 Jan 2023)
The Risk Roundtable podcast is a recurring monthly discussion among our team and occasional guests as we explore the all-hazards threats and risks impacting the United States and internationally. As we seek to help apply a threat-informed, risk-based approach to analysis, preparedness and operations, we hope these podcasts are informative and maybe even a little entertaining. Read more about Gate 15’s full podcast menu at our Podcast page. We hope you’ll subscribe, listen and share your ideas and other feedback! Reach out to us on Twitter, LinkedIn or via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Security Sprint is our weekly rundown of the week’s notable all-hazards security news, risks and threats and some of the key focus areas for organizations to consider behind the headlines. Gate 15 team members discuss physical security, cybersecurity, natural hazards, health threats and other issues across our environment.
- The Risk Roundtable is a recurring monthly discussion among our team and occasional guests as we explore the all-hazards threats and risks impacting the United States and internationally.
- The Cybersecurity Evangelist, with Jennifer Lyn Walker, is a cybersecurity-focused discussion with Jen and invited guests.
- Nerd Out! Security Panel Discussion, moderated by Dave Pounder, focuses on physical security topics including terrorism, extremism, hostile events, and other pertinent topics.
- The Gate 15 Interview is a monthly interview between Gate 15’s founder and Managing Director, Andy Jabbour and guests from throughout the homeland security risk management community addressing a wide range of all-hazards topics and issues.
We hope you’ll subscribe, listen and share your ideas and other feedback!