Please enjoy this month’s episode of The Gate 15 podcast on Anchor, Spotify, Apple, Google, as well as other locations accessible via the Anchor link or almost anywhere you listen to your favorite podcasts.
In the latest episode of the Risk Roundtable, Andy and Dave welcome in Tracy Maleeff as they went through the latest security news. Tracy kicked things off by looking at a new scam reported on by the Better Business Bureau involving craft fairs (is there no place that’s safe). Then the roundtable took turns looking at the recently released National Cybersecurity Strategy and what it means for individuals and organizations, especially around training and information sharing. Andy used the release to also discuss corresponding actions that the EPA is taking to improve the resiliency of the water system. Tracy then transitioned back to other types of scams and how Artificial Intelligence is even getting into the scam business targeting individuals pretending to be loved ones and how safe words could be an effective mitigating factor. Dave wrapped things up with a quick hit on venue security to which the group discussed how this is not strictly a physical security problem, but in fact a blended threat. Andy put the finishing touches on the pod with his three questions (no comment on the new CISA website redesign).
Some of the references from our podcast include:
National Cybersecurity Strategy:
- White House: FACT SHEET: Biden-Harris Administration Announces National Cybersecurity Strategy, 02 Mar
- Gizmodo: I Read the Biden Administration’s New Cyber Policy So You Don’t Have To, 04 Mar
- US House Committee on Homeland Security: Green, Garbarino Statement on the Release of the National Cybersecurity Strategy, 02 Mar
- Risky Biz News: White House unveils National Cybersecurity Strategy, 02 Mar
- HS Today: COLUMN: A Shared Accountability Approach to Cyber Defense, by Bob Kolasky, 02 Mar
- CISA Readout: Director Easterly Visits Carnegie Mellon University, Calls for “Radical Change” for Technology Product Safety in Major Address, 27 Feb
- Industrial Cyber: National Cybersecurity Strategy sets its eyes on improving security, resilience across critical infrastructure, 03 Mar
- WSJ: Cisco Chief Says Tech Products Must Be Made More Secure, 02 Mar
- EPA: EPA Takes Action to Improve Cybersecurity Resilience for Public Water Systems, 03 Mar
- Risky Biz News: EPA releases cybersecurity guidance for US public water sector, 05 Mar
- CNN: US introduces new rules to protect water systems from hackers, 03 Mar
- CyberScoop: EPA issues water cybersecurity mandates, concerning industry and experts, 03 Mar
- SC Media: EPA memo pushes states to include cybersecurity in water safety reviews, 03 Mar
- Industrial Cyber: EPA issues memorandum to address PWS cybersecurity using sanitary surveys, improve resilience, 06 Mar
- AP: 1 dead, 9 hurt in stampede at GloRilla concert in New York, 06 Mar
- Dr. G K Still on Twitter, ‘Teaching crowd safety/risk analysis around the world. Consulting and expert witness experience help develop better teaching and training courses.’
- International Association of Venue Managers’ (IAVM) Academy of Venue Safety and Security (AVSS)
- BBB Scam Alert: Think twice before filling out craft fair applications, 03 Mar
- Washington Post: They thought loved ones were calling for help. It was an AI scam., 05 Mar
Get all these updates and more in our free daily paper, The Gate 15 SUN!
The Risk Roundtable podcast is a recurring monthly discussion among our team and occasional guests as we explore the all-hazards threats and risks impacting the United States and internationally. As we seek to help apply a threat-informed, risk-based approach to analysis, preparedness and operations, we hope these podcasts are informative and maybe even a little entertaining. Read more about Gate 15’s full podcast menu at our Podcast page. We hope you’ll subscribe, listen and share your ideas and other feedback! Reach out to us on Twitter, LinkedIn or via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Security Sprint is our weekly rundown of the week’s notable all-hazards security news, risks and threats and some of the key focus areas for organizations to consider behind the headlines. Gate 15 team members discuss physical security, cybersecurity, natural hazards, health threats and other issues across our environment.
- The Risk Roundtable is a recurring monthly discussion among our team and occasional guests as we explore the all-hazards threats and risks impacting the United States and internationally.
- The Cybersecurity Evangelist, with Jennifer Lyn Walker, is a cybersecurity-focused discussion with Jen and invited guests.
- Nerd Out! Security Panel Discussion, moderated by Dave Pounder, focuses on physical security topics including terrorism, extremism, hostile events, and other pertinent topics.
- The Gate 15 Interview is a monthly interview between Gate 15’s founder and Managing Director, Andy Jabbour and guests from throughout the homeland security risk management community addressing a wide range of all-hazards topics and issues.
We hope you’ll subscribe, listen and share your ideas and other feedback!