Please enjoy our newest podcast, the Weekly Security Sprint, on Spotify for Podcasters, Spotify, Apple, Google, as well as other locations accessible via the Spotify for Podcasters link or almost anywhere you listen to your favorite podcasts.
In this week’s Security Sprint, Dave returns and he and Andy talk about the topics below. For more of these and other security updates, subscribe to our free daily report, delivered directly to your inbox, the Gate 15 SUN.
Subscribe to our daily report, the Gate 15 SUN!
- Utah man suspected of threatening President Joe Biden shot and killed as FBI served warrant.
- From 2017, Over 12,000 tweets are calling for Trump’s assassination. Here’s how the Secret Service handles it; A new problem for a new era.
- ‘Remember Waco and Ruby Ridge’: Man killed by FBI for making Biden death threat memes already a far-right rallying cry
Faith-Based Security & False Reports.
- ‘Online trolls’ target 26 synagogues in series of antisemitic swat calls and bomb threats: ADL. “The group targeted at least 26 synagogues and two ADL offices across 12 states over the last four weekends, according to the organization.”
- ADL Statement on Continued Series of Antisemitic Swatting Incidents Targeting Synagogues and Other Institutions
- US synagogues continuously targeted by ‘swatting’
- Fake bomb threat forces Fullerton synagogue to evacuate during Sabbath service
- Lil Durk Calls Out Merch Thieves After False Active Shooter Report at Chicago Concert
- Eiffel Tower evacuated twice over bomb threat
- 3D-printed firearms plot exposes alarming antisemitism surge in LA.
- How Jewish community safety group tracked down suspect linked to extremist threat in Reseda
- Reseda Man Affiliated with Violent White Supremacist Group Charged in Federal Criminal Complaint with Drug and Ammunition Offenses
- Homeless man arrested, accused of threatening North Little Rock church
- Man arrested for threatening business, mosque
- Police Investigating Vandalism at Philadelphia Buddhist Temple
- PA Man Arrested for Making Ethnic Threats against Church
- For more, check out the FB-ISAO blog and the daily updated posted there, and join FB-ISAO and get that and a lot more delivered directly and via the FB-ISAO Slack workspace.
2023 National Intelligence Strategy (NIS). The 2023 National Intelligence Strategy (NIS) provides the Intelligence Community (IC) with strategic direction from the Director of National Intelligence (DNI) for the next four years. The NIS is a foundational document for the IC and reflects the input of leaders from each of the 18 intelligence elements, as it guides the operations, investments, and priorities of the collective. It supports the national security priorities outlined in the National Security Strategy and the National Defense Strategy as well as other national strategies. View the 2023 National Intelligence Strategy here.
Director of National Intelligence Avril D. Haines Releases The 2023 National Intelligence Strategy for the Intelligence Community. “The six goals outlined in this NIS reflect key elements of the current strategic environment: the centrality of strategic competition between the United States and the People’s Republic of China (PRC) and the Russian Federation; the growing importance of emerging technologies, supply chains, and economic statecraft to national security; the increasing influence of sub-national and non-state actors; and the challenges stemming from the convergence of shared global challenges, such as climate change and health security.”
CISA: The Power of Resilience. “This is resilience: Doing the work up front to prepare for a disruption, anticipating that it will in fact happen, and exercising not just for response but with a deliberate focus on continuity and recovery, improving the ability to operate in a degraded state and significantly reducing downtime when an incident occurs…”
- Top U.S. cyber official offers ‘stark warning’ of potential attacks on infrastructure if tensions with China escalate. Such tactics would be a stark change from the cyberactivity historically attributed to China, usually espionage and data theft but not destructive attacks.
- China would consider attacks on US railroads, pipelines if it invades Taiwan, Easterly says
- China to disclose secret US ‘global reconnaissance system,’ claims official. Chinese authorities have pledged to “publicly disclose a highly secretive global reconnaissance system” operated by the U.S. government following an investigation into the alleged hacking of earthquake monitoring equipment in Wuhan.
- Jen Walker spoke to this on a recent Gate 15 Security Sprint: Weekly Security Sprint EP 27. New SEC Rules and cybersecurity for everyone, not-so-subtle China cyber threat foot-stomping plus anger, radicalization and political violence, the critical-ist of infrastructure and…so much more!
- THE CYBERSECURITY 202 – China’s hacking of Japan’s defense networks ‘was bad — shockingly bad
- China’s Plan to Rule the World Through Its Smart Devices, FCC Urged to Act
- President Biden Signs Executive Order on Addressing United States Investments In Certain National Security Technologies And Products In Countries Of Concern
- Executive Order on Addressing United States Investments in Certain National Security Technologies and Products in Countries of Concern
- Treasury Seeks Public Comment on Implementation of Executive Order Addressing U.S. Investments in Certain National Security Technologies and Products in Countries of Concern
- Biden issues EO aimed at undermining Chinese military modernization by regulating US investments in 3 critical technology areas
- Biden limits US investments in China tech, makes ‘emergency’ declaration
- New US investment curbs to have limited impact on China’s targeted tech sectors
- Nexus Podcast: Jennifer Lyn Walker on Cybersecurity Risks in the Water Sector
- CISA: Review Of The Attacks Associated with Lapsus$ And Related Threat Groups Report, PDF.
- CISA: Review Of The Attacks Associated with Lapsus$ And Related Threat Groups Executive Summary, PDF.
- Akamai Research: Rampant Abuse of Zero-Day and One-Day Vulnerabilities Leads to 143% Increase in Victims of Ransomware
- Key Findings from the 1H 2023 FortiGuard Labs Threat Report.
- Administrator of ‘Bulletproof’ Webhosting Domain Charged in Connection with Facilitation of NetWalker Ransomware
- Biden-Harris Administration Launches Artificial Intelligence Cyber Challenge to Protect America’s Critical Software
- The “AI Cyber Challenge” (AIxCC)
- THE CYBERSECURITY 202 – The Biden administration wants to put AI to the test for cybersecurity
- Black Hat USA keynote: In AI do not trust
- AI Is Generating Security Risks Faster Than Companies Can Keep Up
- ChatGPT fever spreads to US workplace, sounding alarm for some
- Generative AI Is Making Companies Even More Thirsty for Your Data
- The Hard Realities of Setting AI Risk Policy
- AI ‘evil twins’ may already be manipulating human nature
- AI and the Future of Cyber Security
- Pentagon launches ‘Task Force Lima’ to study generative AI for defense
- Worldcoin scans eyeballs and offers crypto. What to know about the project from OpenAI’s CEO
- ChatGPT expands its ‘custom instructions’ feature to free users
- Google launches Project IDX, a new AI-enabled browser-based development environment
- IBM Plans to Make Llama 2 Available within its Watsonx AI and Data Platform
- AI Mania Triggers Dot-Com Bubble Flashbacks
Virginia is For Lovers, a history
Read more about Gate 15’s full podcast menu at our Podcast page. You can subscribe and enjoy all the Gate 15 Podcasts on Spotify for Podcasters, Apple, Spotify, Google, as well as other locations accessible from the Spotify for Podcasters link. Week-to-week, you can hear and learn more about our all-hazards threats, risks, mitigation and other issues impacting homeland security risk management from our team as well as our regular and special guests. The full podcast menu includes:
- The Security Sprint is our weekly rundown of the week’s notable all-hazards security news, risks and threats and some of the key focus areas for organizations to consider behind the headlines. Gate 15 team members discuss physical security, cybersecurity, natural hazards, health threats and other issues across our environment.
- The Risk Roundtable is a recurring monthly discussion among our team and occasional guests as we explore the all-hazards threats and risks impacting the United States and internationally.
- The Cybersecurity Evangelist, with Jennifer Lyn Walker, is a cybersecurity-focused discussion with Jen and invited guests.
- Nerd Out! Security Panel Discussion, moderated by Dave Pounder, focuses on physical security topics including terrorism, extremism, hostile events, and other pertinent topics.
- The Gate 15 Interview is a monthly interview between Gate 15’s founder and Managing Director, Andy Jabbour and guests from throughout the homeland security risk management community addressing a wide range of all-hazards topics and issues.