By Jennifer Lyn Walker, The Cybersecurity Evangelist
This month, TCE continues her chat with Research & Education Networks Information Sharing & Analysis Center‘s (REN-ISAC) Krysten Stevens, Director of Technical Operations, and Brett Zupan, Risk Analyst and DC Liaison from REN-ISAC. On this episode:
- We emphasize the importance of relationship building among higher ed and relevant community resources.
- Discuss the wide and varied landscape of higher ed and research community.
- We jump up on our soapboxes about how cyber is a cost of doing business, and not “if” but “when” you become a cyber attack victim.
- We chat REN-ISAC services, such as Security Event System (SES), Peer Assessment Service, and Workshops (again).
- Krysten brilliantly reminds us of the “trust community” that the ISACs represent.
- Brett sucks up to Krysten with a nod to the technical operations team; and of course, Krysten couldn’t help but brag on her team too! As it should be.
- Brett rounds out our discussion with a masterful shout out to the NCI (National Council of ISACs).
- Parting comments:
- Brett – “Practice, practice, practice!” Be prepared, you never know when a major incident will impact your organization!
- Krysten references “special snowflakes” from Andy’s stunning discussion on The Gate 15 Interview: From Blended Threats to Pandemic Lessons Learned, a Candid Conversation on Higher Education Security and Resilience with REN-ISAC’s Kim Milford: https://gate15.global/the-gate-15-interview-from-blended-threats-to-pandemic-lessons-learned-a-candid-conversation-on-higher-education-security-and-resilience-with-ren-isacs-kim-milford/(23 Nov 2020)
- And just when you thought The Cybersecurity Evangelist ISAC Series was about to come to a close…Did someone say, ”Fourth of Jul-ISAC”? Ummmm, WHAT?
REN-ISAC Resources discussed on this episode:
- Peer Assessment Service – https://www.ren-isac.net/public-resources/pas/index.html
- Workshops – https://www.ren-isac.net/public-resources/workshops/index.html
- Security Event System – https://www.ren-isac.net/member-resources/SES.html
- REN-ISAC: Our Trust Community – https://www.ren-isac.net/what-we-do/index.html
- The Risk Roundtable, a panel discussion among our Gate 15 team
- The Cybersecurity Evangelist, with Jennifer Lyn Walker
- Nerd Out! Security Panel Discussion, moderated by Dave Pounder
- The Gate 15 Interview, a monthly interview with security and risk management leaders