Please enjoy this month’s episode of The Gate 15 podcast on Anchor, Spotify, Apple, Google, as well as other locations accessible via the Anchor link or almost anywhere you listen to your favorite podcasts.
Ben Taylor, Executive Director of Cannabis ISAO, channels his inner Wolverine and makes his third stop on the Gate 15 podcasts as he joins Andy to talk about all things Cannabis, including a new Cannabis ISAO cybersecurity report on a threat actor identified as “GanjaMask,” as well as the recent private-public collaborative effort among several ISACs, ISAOs, the Central Florida Information Exchange and Homeland Security Today to publish a joint security analysis around the new extremism document, the Hard Reset. Dave then joins Andy to talk about recent cybersecurity reporting on phishing, data breaches and ransomware, and the value that they provide to organizations as they go beyond the numbers. Ensuring the episode hits key all-hazards, Andy and Dave discuss monkeypox and the lessons that can be applied from COVID that can help individuals and organizations make responsible, risk-informed decisions, before playing three questions, talking Arnold, and maybe pointing to a future podcast discussion as Dave tees up the always challenging topic of misinformation. And shoutouts abound from REN-ISAC’s Kim Milford to outstanding security journalist, Catalin Cimpanu, to a number of excellent cybersecurity organizations (see links below!).
Some of the references from our podcast include:
- Cannabis ISAO: Cannabis MSO Shares Cyber Threat Report
- Risky Biz News, with Catalin Cimpanu/@campuscodi (everyone with interests in cybersecurity should be subscribed to this newsletter!), from 06 Jul 22, “GanjaMask: Cannabis ISAO, a security group inside the nascent US cannabis industry, published a report last week on GanjaMask, a threat actor targeting their members. Cannabis ISAO says GanjaMask runs a network of websites posing as fake US-based cannabis stores. The role of these websites is to collect payments and payment card details from customers who place orders through the sites.”
- Cannabis ISAO on the Hard Reset
- Andy’s tweet on the Hard Reset report
- Gate 15 White Paper: The Hostile Event Attack Cycle (HEAC), 2021 Update
- Nerd Out Security Panel Discussion: EP 27. The Hard Reset and Uvalde.
- Cannabis ISAO website
- Cannabis ISAO blog and Director’s Cut posts
- Ben’s previous Gate 15 podcast appearances:
- WHO Director-General’s statement at the press conference following IHR Emergency Committee regarding the multi-country outbreak of monkeypox – 23 July 2022
- Statement from Raj Panjabi, Director of White House Pandemic Preparedness Office, on World Health Organization Declaration on Monkeypox
- IBM Cost of a Data Breach Report
- Proofpoint State of Phish Report
- SEKOIA.IO Mid-2022 Ransomware Threat Landscape
- ENISA Ransomware: Publicly Reported Incidents are only the tip of the iceberg & ENISA Threat Landscape for Ransomware Attacks. “This report aims to bring new insights into the reality of ransomware incidents through mapping and studying ransomware incidents from May 2021 to June 2022. Based on the findings, ransomware has adapted and evolved, becoming more efficient and causing more devastating.”
- Kim Milford, Executive Director, REN-ISAC interviewed in How Are K-12 and Higher Education Faring Against Ransomware?
- Andy’s thread with KELA and noting The Record: Ransomware group demands £500,000 from British schools, citing cyber insurance policy
- The Gate 15 Interview: Amanda Berlin and Megan Roddie talk cybersecurity, mental health hackers, DEFCON, musicals, fruits, and more!
- Homeland Security Today
The Risk Roundtable podcast is a recurring monthly discussion among our team and occasional guests as we explore the all-hazards threats and risks impacting the United States and internationally. As we seek to help apply a threat-informed, risk-based approach to analysis, preparedness and operations, we hope these podcasts are informative and maybe even a little entertaining. Read more about Gate 15’s full podcast menu at our Podcast page. We hope you’ll subscribe, listen and share your ideas and other feedback! Reach out to us on Twitter, LinkedIn or via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Risk Roundtable, a panel discussion among our Gate 15 team;
- The Cybersecurity Evangelist, with Jennifer Lyn Walker;
- Nerd Out! Security Panel Discussion, moderated by Dave Pounder; and
- The Gate 15 Interview, a monthly interview with security and risk management leaders.
We hope you’ll subscribe, listen and share your ideas and other feedback!