Please enjoy this month’s episode of The Gate 15 podcast on Anchor, Spotify, Apple, Google, as well as other locations accessible via the Anchor link or almost anywhere you listen to your favorite podcasts.
It’s never a good thing when Jen takes time and leaves Andy and Dave to their own devices. With Jen away, Andy took the opportunity to give shoutouts to some of the great cybersecurity resources available to help maintain awareness of the dynamic cyber threat environment. Then the boys dug into hostile events and some of the challenges that individuals and organizations can face, even when they do the right thing. At the same time, there are also inherent responsibilities that we all have in identifying behaviors or contributing to a threat actor’s pathway to violence by inaction (Michigan school shooting). Dave and Andy then talked about the upcoming election and some of great work that is going to make sure we have safe, secure and reliable elections. However, they also note that there are some potential risks that could occur in the aftermath. Finally, Dave and Andy have some fun talking about their top 5 (or 50) movies that they just can’t turn off when they happen to see them on. All this, as the Risk Roundtable welcomes listeners to Critical Infrastructure Security and Resilience Month!
Andy’s cybersecurity shoutouts include:
- Gate 15 SUN: https://paper.li/gate15
- Catalin Cimpanu: @campuscodi & Risky Biz News, https://riskybiznews.substack.com
- Lawrence Abrams: @LawrenceAbrams and Bleeping Computer @bleepincomputer, bleepingcomputer.com
- Brian Krebs: @briankrebs, krebsonsecurity.com
- Ransomware Data Leaks: @ecrime_ch, https://ecrime.ch
Some of the references from our podcast include:
- Gate 15: Education on Hostile Event Preparedness: Hostile Event Attack Cycle, 10 Nov 2022, 1:00-2:30pm ET
- Access Gate 15 White Paper on The Hostile Event Attack Cycle (HEAC), 2021 Update, here
- Former DHS Assistant Secretary for Infrastructure Protection Brian Harrell Urges Community to Collaborate During Infrastructure Security Month, HS Today, 30 Oct 2022 (Brian Harrell on Twitter: @gridsecure)
- Nerd Out Security Panel Discussion: EP 30. Dave going solo talking Elections and Manifesto Impacts, 20 Oct 2022
- The Gate 15 Interview EP 28: Talking election security, tea and baseball, with Scott Algeier, 25 Oct 2022
- CISA Director, Jen Easterly, @CISAJen, on Face the Nation, @FaceTheNation, speaking to election security.
‘Do not believe *anything* until The Kremlin denies it’Darth Putin
- Russia warns West: We can target your commercial satellites
- @DarthPutinKGB on Twitter and the Darth Web Shop.
- Prosecutors seek to introduce evidence Michigan school shooter’s parents created a pathway to violence | CNN
- FBI background check blocked gun sale to St. Louis school shooter
- The USCP, FBI & San Francisco Police Joint Threat Investigation
- Department of Justice: Man Charged with Assault and Attempted Kidnapping Following Breaking and Entering of Pelosi Residence
- Conspiracy-Addled Intruder Allegedly Tried to Tie Up Paul Pelosi, Asked ‘Where’s Nancy?’
- Pelosi attack stokes Congress’ fears: “Somebody is going to die”
- Paul Pelosi recovering as attack renews focus on toxic politics
- Lawmakers reveal — and dispute — FBI conclusion about 2017 baseball field shooting
- Rand Paul attacker sentenced to additional prison time over yard assault
- Capitol Police data indicates threats to lawmakers have surged since 2017
- An Assessment of the Second U.S. Government Domestic Terrorism Assessment
- Analysis | For cyber experts, disinformation overshadows cyberthreats in midterms
- Feds warn that domestic violent extremists pose heightened threat to midterm elections
- ‘Complex threat environment’ ahead of midterm elections, top cybersecurity official says
- How ‘mule watchers’ evolved from a Truth Social meme into a ballot drop box patrol
- FBI investigating after Conservation Voters of NM gets letter with threats and ‘substance’
- Experts fear rising global ‘incel’ culture could provoke terrorism
The Risk Roundtable podcast is a recurring monthly discussion among our team and occasional guests as we explore the all-hazards threats and risks impacting the United States and internationally. As we seek to help apply a threat-informed, risk-based approach to analysis, preparedness and operations, we hope these podcasts are informative and maybe even a little entertaining. Read more about Gate 15’s full podcast menu at our Podcast page. We hope you’ll subscribe, listen and share your ideas and other feedback! Reach out to us on Twitter, LinkedIn or via email at: email@example.com.
- The Risk Roundtable, a panel discussion among our Gate 15 team;
- The Cybersecurity Evangelist, with Jennifer Lyn Walker;
- Nerd Out! Security Panel Discussion, moderated by Dave Pounder; and
- The Gate 15 Interview, a monthly interview with security and risk management leaders.
We hope you’ll subscribe, listen and share your ideas and other feedback!