Please enjoy our newest podcast, the Weekly Security Sprint, on Spotify for Podcasters, Spotify, Apple, Google, as well as other locations accessible via the Spotify for Podcasters link or almost anywhere you listen to your favorite podcasts.
Gate 15 is on Threads! Give us a follow and join us: @gate_15_resilience
In this week’s Security Sprint, Dave and Andy talk about the topics below. For more of these and other security updates, subscribe to our free daily report, delivered directly to your inbox, the Gate 15 SUN. To subscribe, please email Gate15@Gate15.global.
ISIS Calls for Jewish Attacks Around the World. “Terrorist group ISIS has called for violent targeting of Jewish people worldwide in response to the ongoing conflict between Israel and Hamas… Published on Friday in Arabic in Al-Naba, a weekly magazine by ISIS, it advocates for violence and murder against Jewish people worldwide. The terror group has a history of systematic persecution of religious groups, including Muslims. Issue 413 contains an infographic titled, ‘Practical ways to support Muslims in Palestine,’ which encourages attacks on Jewish people and Israel, with the goal of ‘returning its land to the House of Islam again,’ a translation from Arabic to English completed by Newsweek has found… outlines how its supporters can help ISIS military efforts, including ‘targeting Jewish neighborhoods in America, Europe and the rest of the world,’ and ‘attacking the Jewish and Crusader embassies with burning and vandalism,’ the Newsweek translation has found. It also promotes ‘targeting Jewish temples (synagogues) spread everywhere’ as well as attacking ‘Jewish economic interests spread throughout the world.’ …the ‘battlefield’ is not limited to Palestine and ‘includes all places of the Jewish presence.’”
New Portman Report Demonstrates Threat Ransomware Presents to the United States. “This report details the attacks by Russia-based ransomware group REvil on three American companies, and the experiences of those companies during the incident response. The goal of this report is to provide information companies and agencies can use to prepare for and respond to ransomware attacks. REvil targeted entities of all sizes and sophistication. The three companies have little in common in terms of business model, purpose, or number of employees. Entity A is a global multi-sector Fortune 500 company with roughly 100,000 employees. Entity B is a global manufacturing company with several thousand employees. Entity C is a technology firm with only 50 employees. Nevertheless, all three were targeted by the same ransomware group. This underscores the broad threat ransomware presents and the proactive steps all organizations must take to implement cyber best practices.” The report includes good background, key findings and recommendations.
- CISA, NSA, FBI, MS-ISAC Publish Updated #StopRansomware Guide
- UK NCSC: Principles for ransomware-resistant cloud backups; Helping to make cloud backups resistant to the effects of destructive ransomware.
- Our new principles to help make cloud backups more resilient; Introducing a new set of NCSC principles to strengthen the resilience of organisations’ cloud backups from ransomware attackers.
- Canadian Centre for Cyber Security – Social engineering – ITSAP.00.166, Social engineering – ITSAP.00.166 (PDF, 267 KB)
- Phishing Guidance: Stopping the Attack Cycle at Phase One
FBI Releases 2022 Crime in the Nation Statistics. The FBI released detailed data on over 11 million criminal offenses reported to the Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) Program… The FBI’s crime statistics estimates for 2022 show that national violent crime decreased an estimated 1.7% in 2022 compared to 2021 estimates.
- Statement from President Joe Biden on Hate Crime Statistics
- FBI report: Violent crime decreases to pre-pandemic levels, but property crime is on the rise
- Violent crime down, carjackings up, according to FBI crime statistics
- FBI: Violent Crime Down To Pre-Pandemic Levels, But Property Crimes Rising
- ADL: FBI Data Reflects Deeply Alarming Record-High Number of Reported Hate Crime Incidents in the U.S. in 2022
- The complete analysis is located on the UCR’s Crime Data Explorer
- Russia, shifting tactics, fans doubt in election integrity, U.S. says; A new intelligence assessment indicates the Kremlin appears to be expanding its long-running efforts to weaken the world’s democracies
- CISA Releases Guidance for Addressing Cisco IOS XE Web UI Vulnerabilities
- “The Phantom Hacker:” FBI Phoenix Warns Public of New Financial Scam
- CISA: Threat Actors Exploit Atlassian Confluence CVE-2023-22515 for Initial Access to Networks
- FBI IC3 PSA: Additional Guidance on the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea Information Technology Workers
Read more about Gate 15’s full podcast menu at our Podcast page. You can subscribe and enjoy all the Gate 15 Podcasts on Spotify for Podcasters, Apple, Spotify, Google, as well as other locations accessible from the Spotify for Podcasters link. Week-to-week, you can hear and learn more about our all-hazards threats, risks, mitigation and other issues impacting homeland security risk management from our team as well as our regular and special guests. The full podcast menu includes:
- The Security Sprint is our weekly rundown of the week’s notable all-hazards security news, risks and threats and some of the key focus areas for organizations to consider behind the headlines. Gate 15 team members discuss physical security, cybersecurity, natural hazards, health threats and other issues across our environment.
- Nerd Out! Security Panel Discussion, moderated by Dave Pounder, focuses on physical security topics including terrorism, extremism, hostile events, and other pertinent topics.
- The Gate 15 Interview, is a monthly interview between Gate 15’s founder and Managing Director, Andy Jabbour and guests from throughout the homeland security risk management community addressing a wide range of all-hazards topics and issues.
- The Cybersecurity Evangelist, with Jennifer Lyn Walker, is a cybersecurity-focused discussion with Jen and invited guests. This is presently a Gate 15 special podcast and occasionally is updated on our Gate 15 podcast channel.
- The Risk Roundtable, was a monthly discussion among our team and occasional guests exploring the all-hazards threats and risks impacting the United States and internationally. This was suspended in September 2023.
We hope you’ll subscribe, listen and share your ideas and other feedback! Reach out to us on Threads, LinkedIn, via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org, and also on X, the platform formerly known as Twitter.